The Fernandes Project


 

017I know it’s a gamble stripping down a guitar with the sole intent of staining, and not painting… As we all know, when the chips are down on the assembly line; “Ugly Guitars Get Paint”. But, I figured if it was too ugly Well, there’s always … more paint. Obviously, like my workshop, this flea market find ( though an awesome playing little guitar ) definitely needs all the help it can get in the looks department. 

In my humble opinion, there are WAY too many black guitars out there, at least, in the Stratocaster style. Although, I wouldn’t likely change the color of a nice vintage Strat, or, Tele, regardless of the color. There are certainly a few Tele Custom and Deluxe models I’ve played out there that still look good in black. But, when it came to the Fergie, nothing has ever been cut and dried black and white. 100_2166

She’s been with me some time, and plays as good as she sounds… just didn’t have the same sex appeal to me in the looks department, so, I visited the old strip club…100_2160
She was a tough one to break, though. I had to use all three trusted methods (Chemical Solvent, Heat Gun, & Sand Paper) to cut through all the poly plastic, and paint before it was over.. and it’s actually not over yet, as I still have to dress her in a clear coat. And rewire, and mount the hardware, pickups and chrome of course. 100_2161

Luckily, underneath all that aged polymer ( in my opinion) was some pretty decent wood grain. 100_2168

100_2166100_2171

 

100_2170I’m not settled on the pick guard yet either, but, had one I’d tried to paint up a while back; or actually tried to copper relic, ( which I learned doesn’t work so well on flat objects) But, who knows…100_2167
100_2183100_2183 (2) Almost Done 1100_2182
I’ll be replacing the POT knobs with a more antiqued, or, bronzed looking ones most likely, and I need to make some type of input jack grommet, But other than that … she’s about done.

Advertisements

12 Comments

    • Thanks Deb. Now the real work begins it seems.. as I have 4 coats of the clear poly on it now, and thought I was going with an easier, less needy version… apparently not though, as I’m still having to wet sand between each coat after it dries, and looking like I’ll have to do a final auto body type buff and sand to get a good result.
      Good seeing you again.
      God Bless You
      paul

      Like

  1. Planning? Oh yeah.. I knew I forgot something. I’ve got two more I’m working on the table already, and these I’m painting… which, I had hoped would be a little LESS work than the staining. Not so… there’s much more sanding and processed trial and error… at least for me. Maybe I really should try that some time… the “Planning” thing I mean. hehe Great seeing ya again.
    God Bless
    paul

    Like

Please let us know you were here- like, or leave a comment. It only takes a second.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s